In this week’s video, Chris talks about how to come up with an overall plan for mailing lists and autoresponders. He shows the spreadsheet organization of his lists to track outstanding work needed, autoresponder sequences, and the last time links were updated for every book in his backlist. Check out the video below for more details!
In this week’s video, Chris talks about how to create unique character names that fit the genre and have the right feel for your book. He goes over four ways that names have developed throughout history and how you can apply them to your own characters. For more details, check out the video below!
In today’s motivational video, Chris talks about what he calls the “creative gap.” The creative gap is the gap between what a creative person sees in their head versus what comes out when they try to create something. How do you narrow that gap to produce better work? It mainly comes down to practice and perseverance. Check out the video below to hear what Chris has to say about it!
Chris was recently interviewed on the Author Like a Boss podcast, a podcast for indie authors wanting to learn book marketing, self publish their books, and make a living with their writing. The topics touched on in this episode with Chris include:
- How much readers care about who publishes the stories
- Why women writers are doing so well as indie author
- How you can make money by writing to market AND writing what you love
- How to write what you love, and market it to what people will buy
- How to build on your cover image, title, and blurb so that people want to buy your book
- His book where he teaches you how to write 5,000 words per hour
- How he mixed writing as a pantser and a plotter to be the most creative and efficient
- Dan Harmon’s story circle
- What passive marketing is, and why it’s so important to your author success
- What percentage of mistakes he still makes, and how he learns from them
- How often he sends newsletters and what he sends in his newsletter
- How he builds his newsletter subscribers
- The actual challenges and stresses of being a full-time author
- His best advice for indie authors who want to be successful
Check out the Author Like a Boss podcast on iTunes!
Today’s video is the second part in a series on mailing lists for authors. In it, Chris talks about how to start a re-engagement campaign with your mailing lists. What is a re-engagement campaign? Over time, people who have signed up to your mailing lists may lose interest and stop reading the emails. A re-engagement campaign is an effort to either remove people who are no longer reading or to preferably get them re-engaged in your content. Check out the video below for more details!
In today’s video, Chris talks about how he uses mailing lists as an author. This is the first video in a series about mailing lists, and you can see a few details about the different lists Chris uses. Check out the video below for more!
In today’s video, Chris talks about Amazon author ranking, and why it might matter to you. He goes over the advantages and disadvantages of having a high author rank. Ultimately, author rank matters to some authors, but not to others. Watch the video for more details about Amazon author rank:
In today’s video, Chris gives three tips on how to improve description in your writing. These tips include what Chris calls the power of inheritance, showing how the character is impacted, and using the scenery. For more details and some examples of each of these, check out the video below!
In today’s video, Chris gives some tips for how to design a book cover that will sell books, including three rules he follows when getting the cover made. He also shows how he makes mockups of his covers to give to artists, and some of the steps he takes to refine his artwork with the cover artist. Watch the video below to see more!
In today’s video, Chris explains why he no longer writes trilogies. The short answer is that longer series are easier to sell. He gives some numbers for two of his trilogies that are really both part of a longer series, and shows how they sell better as a single long series. Check out the video below to see all the details!