In this week’s video, Chris talks about the newest Star Wars movie and why superfans are upset about it. He explains how superfans are different from casual fans and what authors can learn from the film’s choices. Check out the video below for more details!
Recently Chris spoke at the 20Books Vegas 2019 writer’s conference about Write to Market. He talks about some basic tenets for choosing a genre with a market, how to use symbols to appeal to your audience, and the difference between writing to trend and creating a new genre. Check out the recording below for the full presentation!
Chris recently appeared on the Building Dystopia podcast, discussing worldbuilding. The questions covered include the following:
- Would you take us through your personal worldbuilding process, perhaps highlighting what you believe are the most important elements of worldbuilding?
- What elements of the world contribute most to it becoming a transmedia world? What is it about a world that attracts other mediums and stories?
- What is it about a world that encourages fan engagement, fan fiction, con participation, etc..?
- What are your favorite transmedia worlds, and what is it about these worlds that make them appealing to transmedia expansion?
- You are famous for preaching the gospel of write quickly and write for the market. Can I just recommend to our audience a few of your books, including “5K words per hour” (I still use your app) and “Write to Market”? You’d find a lot of Tolkien fans frothing at the mouth with the thought that you could create a new world for a novel, and write the novel, within 21 days as you have done in past video series. What special considerations, or perhaps compromises, have to be made when worldbuilding so quickly?
- How do you think the author’s who are self-published approach worldbuilding differently from traditionally published authors? Do commercial considerations impact worldbuilding decisions, if so, how?
- What do you believe is the author’s role in the expansion of a successful transmedia world?
- What kind of ownership do you believe an author has of the world if it becomes successful enough to be expanded upon in the fan-fiction world?
- How do you feel about worldbuilding outside of the sci-fi/fantasy genre? Do you believe it’s an important consideration for authors in other genres or other mediums?
- Do you have any other advice for transmedia worldbuilders?
Listen: Building Dystopia Episode Six! Worldbuilding With Chris Fox
How do you write dialogue that makes your characters sound authentic? In this week’s video, Chris discusses four different considerations to think about when writing dialogue — age, education and station, relationship and social setting, and emotional state. Check out the video below for more details about how these considerations can help shape your dialogue.
The Deathless Quadrilogy (includes books 1-4) has been released on Audible!
WARNING: May Contain Egyptian Gods, Werewolves, Power Armor, and a World Ending Apocalypse
A pyramid predating all known cultures appears without warning. Its discovery throws into question everything we know about the origins of mankind.
Inside lies incredible technology, proof of a culture far more advanced than our own. Something dark lurks within, eager to resume a war as old as mankind. When it is unleashed it heralds the end of our species’ reign.
A plague of werewolves spreads across the world. A sunspot larger than anything in recorded history begins to grow. Yet both pale in comparison to the true threat, the evil the werewolves were created to fight.
“It’s like Indiana Jones went through the Stargate and ended up in Aliens versus Predator.” – One of the author’s totally biased friends.
This collection gathers No Such Thing As Werewolves, No Mere Zombie, Vampires Don’t Sparkle, and The Great Pack. It’s over 1,500 pages!
Get all 4 books for a single credit on Audible or get the eBook collection for 99 cents on Amazon!
How do you make your characters distinct from each other? In today’s video, Chris gives some quick tips to make your characters stand out. They include things like names, character actions/reactions, and how these actions express each character’s emotions. Check out the video below for more details!
In this week’s video, Chris talks about how to revive a series that has not been performing well. He discusses how he is using a box set to revive his Deathless series in preparation for releasing the next book in the series. Check out the video below for the details!
In this week’s video, Chris tells his own personal childhood story and the effect that reading has had on him. Understanding why your readers read the genre they read can help writers give readers what they are looking for in your books. Check out the video below to hear the story!
The seventh and final book in the Magitech Chronicles, Godswar, has been released on Audible!
Nefarius comes and gods tremble
Nefarius has risen. She is implacable. Unstoppable. God after god is fallen and consumed, and each time the terrible dragon-goddess grows stronger.
Nebiat has stolen the Spellship, depriving Voria of its strength when she needs it most. But Nebiat’s schemes have never been tested by someone like Talifax, and she will finally discover she’s not as clever as she believes.
One possibility of victory remains. Aran, Nara, and Kazon discover their true purpose, left by the elder god Xal when he planned for his own demise. With this contingency they have one chance to oppose Nefarius. One chance to stop the goddess that will devour everything.
If they fail darkness wins, and our universe will be extinguished. Succeeding carries its own price, one Aran must choose for others to live.
Listen now on Audible!
What is intrinsic motivation? Intrinsic motivation is motivation that comes from within yourself, without need for an external reward or motivation. It’s something that gives you joy just by doing it. In today’s video, Chris talks about the importance of finding your intrinsic motivation for your writing as well as for other aspects of your life. Check out the video below for more details!